Friday, January 13, 2006

Grandma comes to town


I picked my mother in law up from the airport this week. She's come up for the start of gymnastics season - my two older kids have meets this weekend. Mothers-in-law are easy to make fun of. Almost too easy.

She can't stop spending money. She once bought one of her kids a dishwasher as a surprise. As they say, they first step to a cure is admitting that you have a problem. She arrived carrying the book on the left, I Shop, Therefore I Am.

I've never been one for self-help books. This may well provide some insight as to why I still need so much help. I suppose I should be pleased that she's recognizing that she spends far to much money on too many things. For those who know me best, you'll no doubt presume my opinion that "Mom" needs to quit buying so much stuff for everyone is based in the fact that doesn't spend it on me. While there may be a ring of truth here, my real concern is that she'll run out of money some day. While we don't live the closest among her kids, Sandy is the oldest. If she shows up just as we get these kids out of the house, I don't know what we'll do. There is some precedent here - her mom (Sandy's 96 year old Grandma) lives with her. I love her - in Florida.

So, here's the thing that I found so funny I almost wet my pants - The book designed to help those poor folks overcome their addiction to foolishly spend money on worthless stuff costs
$60!

I think I'll continue to avoid self-help.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jarrett said...

You know what they say...

Toys for the grandkids...$50
New dishwasher for the kids...$500
Curing your shopping addication...Priceless!

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home