Thursday, March 16, 2006

Daddy needs some new shoes

Having nailed the Italians recently, I wanted to praise our own country. I was attending a conference a couple of weeks ago in Orlando. Being that I was traveling for the seventh week in a row, I delayed my flight until late on Sunday. Having lived there for several years, I scheduled dinner with my old friend Todd. Needless to say, we had a beer or two and covered a lot of recent history with several laughs.

Once I checked into the hotel, I decided to enjoy my All-American right to iron on Sunday. Once I had done this, I came to realize that my "running shoes" (Yeah, like I go running) were all I had for footwear. Uh-oh...

Fortunately, I knew where the Super Wal-Mart was. I ran out and purchased a pair of black dress shoes for $19 (God Bless China as well). They may not last long, but the shoes avoided notice, which is a lot better than the Saucony's would have been.

Then again, I don't think anyone really pays attention to your shoes. Two years ago, when I had just come to Raleigh, I left for the office very early (couldn't sleep). As such, I had dressed in the dark to avoid troubling the sleeping Sandy. At 10:30, my coffee had cycled though, and I hit the men's room. While passing the time at the urinal, I noticed that while both brown, my shoes didn't match. One from a pair of Topsiders, one from some pseudo-Italian loafers. Point is, no one noticed all day. Try it sometime!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home