Monday, July 31, 2006

The Psychology of Southwest Airlines


With the same artificially contrite posture as Peter Cook (Christie Brinkley's apologetic husband), let me start by offering my heartfelt embarrassment for not updating you as to our lives of late. Unfortunately, I am at a stage of ridiculous travel in my project at work, so we don't have much experience together.

While traveling around the country, I've logged an awful (and I mean awful) lot of time in various airports. As you know, I consider myself a pretty smart kid, but I am completely baffled by the behavior of your standard Southwest Airlines passenger.

In case you haven't flown SWA lately, they are probably the largest and most successful of the "small regional" airlines. For reasons that escape me, Southwest doesn't assign seats - rather, you get a ticket with A, B, or C on it and board with the appropriate group. This no doubt came from a cost saving measure 20 years ago, but how much can they still be saving? Anyway, everyone gets a letter. While it would make it more exciting to mix up the order now and again, Southwest then boards the plane in alphabetical order by group.

Here is the puzzling behavior - Almost every person carrying an A Group boarding card feels compelled to stand in line while waiting for the boarding process to begin. For anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes, those blessed with the foresight to check in early (or online) will stand behind and in front of others with the same card.

OK, I can see if you've got 5 friends you'd like to sit near that it might be a good idea to get on first. Barring that, what is going on? As a member of Group A, you are virtually guaranteed a window or an aisle to your liking, along with ample space to store your carry-on. By definition, you're automatically in front of at least half (if not 2/3) of the people on the plane.

What the hell are these people standing in line for?

Again, sorry for my tone, but if you think this is bad, don't ask me about the idiots (on both sides of the relationship) at airport security.

At least today is a good day. After all, it's payday (for me at least). Also, my travels for this week are all in a rental car - no planes, no lines, no people going through the magnetometer seven times taking metal crap out of their pockets, ears, and shoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home