Thursday, December 28, 2006

Finally this season is over (for us)

I went to Florida State. Normally, this time of year is a time of sorrow, as football season draws to a close. Not this year. This one's been tough.

I sat up alone last night watching (and worrying) to see if we could actually pull off the upset and beat UCLA. Not that I care about UCLA. The trouble was FSU entered the game with a 6-6 record. To lose last night would mean that we had a losing season. I was not prepared to face that. I invited no one over to watch the game with me because I was afraid I would embarrass myself.

Now understand - I'm like most every other middle aged guy. Married, kids, job, all that. I live in North Carolina, 10 hours from Tallahassee. But that win last night (44-27 in case you missed it) meant a lot to me. And to FSU. Florida State has not had a losing season in football since 1976, Bowden's first year. I'm proud to see that the streak will continue, at least until next year.

For me, it gives me some level of relief from my non-football watching wife. She went to University of Florida, playing for the national championship next week. Oh, she'll still give me grief about playing in the Emerald Bowl, on a baseball field, but at least she'll be wrong when she calls us losers. I'll take comfort whenever I can find it.

Enjoy the bowl season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home